Friday, September 13, 2013

A Little Tea Party!

Previously in our student ministry, the girls ministry consisted of a girls retreat in the Fall, Revolve Tour in the Spring, and coffee dates the rest of the year.  (As well as supporting the general student ministry happenings).  Well, after review of a Girls Ministry's purpose and goals, we have changed what we're doing.  Girls ministry is best done throughout the year, and my goal this year is to know more girls that tend to be on the "fringe," doing things that are more "grade-specific."  So we're doing many small events this Fall, trying to include more girls. Thinking through this has stretched me, creatively, more than I thought it would.  It has also taught me a bit of how to diversify for different ages.  6th Graders don't always need to hear what 11th and 12th Grade girls do.

So our first event was for the 6th grade girls.  We had a tea party!!  I wanted to share some of my ideas of what we did.
Purpose:  The goal of the night was to make the girls feel special, girly, and like the princesses that they are.  We talked about how we are daughters of the King and that he loves us so much. As their first official student ministry event, I told them how excited I am that they are now part of the student ministry and that God is going to do big things with their time in this student ministry.  We talked about being valued in God's eyes and shining for Him like Princesses in their schools.
DSC_0035
How to Tea Party: 
The Invites: I used invitations from this great site that were easy to edit.  I gave them to the girls a few weeks in advance.  They were cute little reminders.
The Food: Because 6th Grade girls are probably not too thrilled about hot tea, I tweaked the script and we served pink lemonade (what drink is more girly?) and raspberry tea.  The girls were pretty excited about the raspberry tea, and had red mustaches the rest of the night!  I ordered cupcakes from my favorite cupcake bakery, Dimples Cupcake Factory which was a hit! Those cupcakes are huge!

DSC_0044   DSC_0012
We drank out of mason jars, and the girls thought that was very special! Haha!  The goal was girly, so I tied ribbons and put tulle everywhere!  To go along with the lemonade theme, I found awesome Hubert's lemonade bottles (after drinking the delicious lemonade, of course) and they contributed to centerpieces.  The tables also had some mason jars with lemon drops and whoppers (malt balls) in them.  I really wanted some giant pink gumballs, but couldn't find any that were cost-efficient enough.
DSC_0002 DSC_0003
What we did:  When the girls got to the party, they mingled a bit and started drinking and eating snacks.  I had put on the tables these super cute cutouts of cupcakes that they played with as girls were walking in.  It was nice for them to have something to do with their hands and to do, because with 6th graders sometimes conversation with new people are awkward.DSC_0007
(Apparently I didn't take a picture of the actual cutouts)
I also found these free cutouts to make your own photo booth! The girls really loved this! It was really easy to make, I just printed these out on cardstock and cut away.  I set up a banner in a corner and it made for a perfect photobooth!
DSC_0019 DSC_0028 DSC_0031 DSC_0036
Finally, we played some get-to-know-you games because I didn't know everyone and they didn't either.  We spent thirty minutes learning names and random facts about each other.
Then, as time came to almost leave, we waited for parents and played "pterodactyl" which is played by keeping your teeth covered at all times. The person to your left tries to make you smile and show your teeth by making weird noises and saying "pterodactyl."  We laughed so much!
DSC_0057 DSC_0058 DSC_0060 DSC_0072
DSC_0100
DSC_0110
These girls are some high school students who helped with the evening. It was awesome to have them invest in younger girls and to have them help with setup and cleanup!
In hindsight, I would change a few things.  I would not host this event on a Friday night during Texas football season.  I didn't think that high school football would affect 6th graders, but this group of girls has many older siblings and a large group of the 6th grade girls went to the football games, which was a bummer to me.
Overall, the evening was a success.  The girls who came were known and I feel like they felt special.  They heard truth and had fun in the process.  Even though not as many girls came as I thought were coming, the ones that did were girls I didn't know as well, so it was a good opportunity for me to meet them.  Not a lot of planning was needed because the girls just wanted to talk and be silly! Their stories were random, but they were heard and are important to the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment